Saturday, November 3, 2012

Celebrating/Mourning Undas, the Labitan Way

November 1 - All Saint's Day or Piyesta ng Mga Patay. People visit their departed loved ones' last resting place to pray for their souls. That is always the case with our father's side of the family, but with some added fun -- a party.


Well, actually it's not just a post-Halloween Party. It is also the advanced celebration of ate Jen's birthday which is on November 3 (today, as of writing). We first visited the tombstone of our Lolos and Lolas, and uncles in the compound. The lot is just right beside the Subic Cemetery so they decided to bury the remains in the lot.

Me ain't here :(

Anyway, after visiting the grave, the party went on. There were lots of foods and I ate so much that my tummy hurts. And I actually wanted to eat some more -- boohoo! I was really thankful that there were so many dishes, especially those that I can eat (veggies, sweets and fishes).  Too bad I don't have a (working) smartphone or digicam to take some pictures to share here.

There was also this red wine which is among the best that I have tasted. I read that the brand is Sangria but I heard some saying it was a Maria Clara. Well, I don't know much about those stuffs really. The blend was sweet and soothing, and not so bitter like some I had tasted.


Oh Carmina, why do you had to have tantrums that time?

Also, the kids were required to don a costume for the party, and they were so adorable. Our little girl, Carmina, dressed up as an Encantada or a Nymph. Her get-up was simple but adorable. As you can notice on the picture above, she was actually having a tantrum. Well, that night was a night of firsts for her -- it was her first time to wear a costume and the first time for her to attend our Halloween-Undas Party. She was very shy that time, although she was excited when we were about to go. During the party, when all the kids were called in front, she was almost crying! She was also hesitant to go in front. Later on, we told her how poopy she was which she just laughed off after her tantrums went goodbye.


♪ I have a beautiful voice, ♫ no matter what they say ♪

So where are am I in this event? Well, they say leave the best for the last, right? (Or maybe worst in that matter.) The night didn't end without me humiliating myself in karaoke. I sang a couple of songs and received a couple rounds of applause. Of course, they weren't in awe when they clapped, it's more like they laughed and clapped because my singing was awful and out of tune. But I insist that it was a beautiful performance to behold or be heard or whatever.

The night ended with drawing names for our exchange gift this coming Christmas.It was also agreed that everyone, including the adults, should wear a costume for the coming party. The same for our next year's Halloween-Undas party. I am really looking forward to those two awesome events. It was a really fun time to spend with my family, cousins, uncles and aunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment responsibly.